Thursday, September 4, 2008

People Are Riveted and I Have My Soap Box

Yesterday, walking down the terminal you saw people congregating by the televisions watching Sara Palins speech at the GOP convention. I worked the Juneau flight last night and we had to pry people away from the TV to board. Unfortunately, I only got to hear bits and pieces. However, I did find the manuscript and read that. I thought it was well done. No doubt she got the crowds going with her comical and valid jabs at Oboma and his campaign. She made strong points about Americas energy problems....and coming from the Governor of the state that could solve some of those issues, there was no better person to deliver that stance. I know personally, she made me after some doubt, feel like she could handle the position of the VP.

Now, I like Sarah Palin as a person and the things she stands for in her politics. I feel like she was very much a Governor of the people and therefor I am proud of her. There is also a certain pride that also comes along with the fact that she is a woman as well. So,I'll vote for her/McCain when the time comes. However, there is one thing that does bug me and maybe because I AM a women I feel this way. Also, it may be because I feel children are such a special gift from God that I have this OPINION (I say that word strongly). She has five children. One, is a newborn with health issues, one is only 7, one is 14,and there is one that is pregnant at 17. The fact that her family seems to be behind her, and proud of her is commendable. However, as the Vice President of the United States Of America, second to the leader of the free world, how will that effect her children?? Certainly there will be an impact. In this day in age women have had to take on a job just to provide for their families. Other women, chose to have a career, even when their husbands make enough to provide for their families. It is in my opinion, in the cases where money is not the reason, and a career is the goal. That there is selfishness in the act. There are SO many smart women in this world, many who have made tremendous impacts on our society.A modern example would be Condoleezza Rice. Interestingly enough Condoleeza has no children, and also, is not married. With Sara Palin, is she not choosing a career, and YES the chance to make history, OVER the precious and life shaping years with her children???? Can she really balance both, a career and family, on such a high level??? It is the questiont that I can't get away from. What mother of five a "hocky mom" would chose postion and power over her young children??

3 comments:

Really good thoughts Jessa. I know I wouldn't do it, but then again, I couldn't either!
I wouldn't want to be in her shoes.

No doubt it was a difficult decision for her and her husband to come to. We can only hope that her children do not suffer by the good that may bring to the U.S.

ok, so I know I went on slight rant!! =) If her children were not so young and without so many issues...for me it would be a non-issue. NOW, if the father stepped in........which I think he would. Really then what would be difference? Just roll reversal...HA!! I'm debating myself!!! =)